I decided to make cute little meat loafs (did I just call meat loaf cute?) to cater to the on-the-go type who doesn’t want a heavy or crazy lunch to take to work. These are simple to make, tastes delicious, and can fit in your […]
Carob Chip Cashew Butter Cookies
- 1/4 cup of brown rice flour
- 3/4 cup of almond flour
- 1/2 tsp of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of palm shortening
- 1/2 cup of Erythritol
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of creamy cashew butter (unsalted)
- 3 tbsp of carob chips
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Step 2 Start by mixing together the almond flour, brown rice flour, and baking soda in a bowl.
- Step 3 Next, prepare your mixer. Add in shortening, eggs, vanilla, sugar and start mixing.
- Step 4 Then, add in the erythritol to the wet mixture and mix until smooth and creamy
- Step 5 Add in cashew butter to that wet mixture and mix until everything is combined.
- Step 6 Next, while your mixer is on, slowly add in your flour mixture little by little.
- Step 7 Last, fold in carbol chips and place on a greased pan or baking sheet.
- Step 8 Bake for 15 minutes and let cool
It’s cookie time again! I revamped my go-to gluten-free chocolate chip cookies and they are comin’ in hot! They aren’t dairy-free this time around. BUT, I used grass fed butter and that added the soft and chewy cookie consistency I was looking for..and I literally […]
I started using peanut butter more in my baking because 1. I’m obsessed with it and if I have a jar handy in my house, I will eat the whole thing. 2. It adds a moist/creamy texture to a lot of baked goods. I actually […]
We all go through the bloating, the mood swings, the weakness, the fatigue. It’s a once a month kinda thing and its just something we have to deal with. But what about Iron and losing other important minerals during that time? If you are someone who exercises very frequently or just feels way too weak during that time of the month, you may want to consider getting checked for an iron deficiency. In either case, replacing your iron is crucial for sustaining your energy levels and replacing what has been lost. Below are some foods (mainly plant-based, you don’t always need a steak for iron!) that are loaded with iron and other important minerals that can help you cope during your time with your monthly friend. Also, check out my recipe for my No-Bake Protein Period Balls! You’re definitely going to want to make these!
- Sunflower Seeds. These delicious seeds are packed with almost 8 mg of iron per serving (about 1 cup, same amount that are in my protein balls below!). This is already about 50% of the daily value of iron needed. They also include Vitamin B-6 and TONS of magnesium. (Magnesium helps with all the body systems as well as mood and anxiety, this can also be beneficial during that time of the month!).
- Spinach. I love spinach. Whether it is raw or sautéed. In about one bunch of spinach there is 9 mg of iron. Throw that in a pan with some olive oil to sauté or even put some in your smoothie or eggs in the morning for some added minerals.
- Beans. Beans, especially kidney beans have 15mg in 1 cup! Throw these on your salad or make a homemade bean dip and you got yourself a meal!
- Cashews. Cashews are my favorite type of nut. They are so versatile too. Many vegan dishes use cashews as their base for creams, sauces, and desserts. Cashews are packed with protein, fiber and about 2 mg of iron per ounce.
- Dark Chocolate. Who doesn’t love chocolate!? Dark chocolate has been proven to help with many health issues such as inflammation, mood, and blow pressure because it is packed with antioxidants and flavonoids. Also, dark chocolate has close to 12 mg of iron in 3 ounces!
No-Bake Protein Period Balls
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (blended into flour)
- 1 tbsp of pumpkin seeds (also blended)
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp of organic maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of almond milk
- 1 scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 4 tbsp of sesame seeds for coating
- Step 1 Start by placing sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a blender or Vitamin and blend until it turns into flour.
- Step 2 Next, add your flour mixture to your mixer bowl and add in syrup, protein powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and sunflower seed butter.
- Step 3 Then turn mixer on (about level 2) and slowly add the almond milk until it turns into a cookie-dough consistency.
- Step 4 Next, form dough into 2 1.2 in balls and roll in sesame seeds to coat.
- Step 5 Place balls on a baking sheet and place in fridge for 30 min. Enjoy your balls! They can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days.
About a year ago, I was eating a pretty strict Paleo diet. For those of you not familiar with the Paleo trend, it consists of meat, fish, tons of greens, some fruits, healthy fats and oils like avocado, coconut and olive oil, nuts, and seeds. […]
Anybody that knows me, knows I LOVE cinnamon! I put that sh*t on everythanggg. But for real. I do haha. Cinnamon has some great health benefits too and is a great option for pre-diabetics and diabetics. Some health benefits of cinnamon are:
- Cinnamon is a very strong antioxidant. It is even considered a “superfood” and is in the same healing realm of garlic and oregano.
- Helps balance blood sugar by reducing insulin resistance and helping insulin do its thing. This is especially great for people with diabetes. Sprinkle some cinnamon in your coffee, tea, on top of peanut butter toast, whatever tickles your fancy. Its better than white sugar and you’ll be able to reap all the health benefits while still enjoying your relish treats.
- Cinnamon is a great anti-inflammatory helping to fight against disease and skin issues.
- Helps our brain, yo. Seriously, cinnamon helps prevent a protein called Tau which is a protein that builds up in a brain with people who suffer from Parkinson’s and Alzheimers disease.
- Cinnamon can protect our hearts <3 Cinnamon helps reduce triglyceride and LDL cholesterol levels.
Lately when I walk down the grocery store isle or health food store I am pretty confused. As a nutrition specialist you would think I would know every supplement, oil, or protein powder, but think not! There are so many products coming out on the […]