This organic chicken breast coated with grounded cashews is a great alternative to bread crumbs (for my gluten free peeps). The roasted beets and cooked fennel make great sides to any dish!
If you’re like me, then you usually choose chicken and fish over beef or pork. I prefer “lighter” types of animal protein (if that even makes any sense). Chicken was always a staple at the dinner table. From chicken rollatini and chicken francese, to “fake” soy veggie chicken, there was always some form of chicken served. Even though those dishes still sounds amazing, (except for the soy one, yuck!) for the past few years I have been very careful about what I put into my body. This includes lessening my dairy and gluten intake (with the occasional sprouted bread for avo toast), exercising a lot more, and staying away from GMO’s and non-organic foods AND beauty products. So now when it comes to meat, in this case poultry, I choose organic chicken free of antibiotics and hormones. The cashews are actually a great alternative to bread crumbs. I blended them in my NutriBullet and they instantly become similar texture and consistency to bread crumbs.
This was a super fun dish to make. I actually never cooked beets or fennel before. I usually have beets in my juices and fennel I eat raw (which also tastes amazing). When the fennel is cooked they resemble the texture and look of onions. They are seriously SO delicious. I added some salt, pepper, thyme, and topped them with mint.
And I can’t forget the beets!! Beets are so so healthy for you. They are filled with fiber, Vitamin C, and folate. The are a great anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. Yay beets!
I hope you enjoy making this dish as much as I did. Now time to dig in!
Cashew Crusted Chicken With Roasted Beets And Fennel Recipe
- 3 pieces of 3oz size Organic chicken breast
- 3 beets- peeled and cut into cubes
- 1-2 bulbs of fennel
- 3/4 cup of cashews blended or put in a food processor
- 1 T of dijon mustard
- 1 T of lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven at 420 degrees
- Start by peeling and cutting the beets into cubes. Place them in a well oiled pan and season with salt and pepper. Place in oven for about 35-40min.
- Begin to cut the fennel into slices
- On low-medium heat, place about 2 tablespoons of olive oil on a pan along with a 1/2 cup of water. Place the already cut fennel onto that pan. Put the top on the pan and let the fennel evaporate all the water and cook down. Add salt,pepper, and any other seasonings you like. I used thyme and it tasted great. This should take about 10 minutes. Garnish already cooked fennel with mint.
- Blend the cashews in a blender or food processor
- Begin to coat the chicken breasts with the dijon and lemon mixture and then dip into the cashews and place on an oiled pan.
- Place in oven for about 25-30 min at 420 degrees