What a week! After celebrating my brother’s wedding and other family outings, my gluten free/dairy free routine was thrown off for a bit. I’m getting back on track with this vegan Alfredo pasta and sauteed spinach.
When it comes to eating out a lot, I like to try and keep some sort of balance. There’s always the “skip the bread” or “order a salad with dressing on the side” trick, but in the end you gotta have some fun. You can have your pizza and your dessert but just be smart about it. Have one slice and share your dessert with your dinner guests.
I realized that going off balance sometimes keeps things more balanced in a sense. Sounds crazy but it’s true. This goes for other parts of life as well. Our job, our relationships, how much we spend, travel, etc. If there is all work and no play, then how are we ever suppose to feel satisfied with life or expect things to grow and change?
Ok now I’m going to get really corny and start quoting some “Eat Pray Love” but for real, this quote always stuck with me and sometimes I need to remind myself of it from time to time. “To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.” In this case, I’m not necessarily going through a breakup like Elizabeth was, but I am going through a major turning point in my life. And sometimes I feel as though I want things to happen right away or I don’t enjoy the moment or let go of the routine for a bit. Like many of us, I am just trying to find some sort of balance between work, lifestyle changes, and soon-to-be grad school work. It’s going to be tough but I learned recently that sometimes letting go and having some fun can make you come back to your routine much more focused, less tense, and more clear. So cheers to eating pizza, dessert, and whatever you want, because in certain moments, that’s just what we need.
Creamy Vegan Alfredo Sauce with Sauteed Spinach Recipe
- 1 can of garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup of tahini sauce
- 3 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
- 1 tsp of cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1 tsp of pepper
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- couple of handfuls of fresh spinach leaves
- any gluten free pasta of your choice
- In a food processor or blender, mix the tahini and garbanzo beans along with the salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, cayenne, and lime juice. Mix until creamy.
- Boil a pot of water and add in the pasta
- On a separate pan, heat up the olive oil and onions until the onions get browned.
- Add the spinach to the onion mixture.
- Once pasta is cooked, add sauce and spinach to the mix and top with some red pepper and any other seasonings of your choice.