We all go through the bloating, the mood swings, the weakness, the fatigue. It’s a once a month kinda thing and its just something we have to deal with. But what about Iron and losing other important minerals during that time? If you are someone who exercises very frequently or just feels way too weak during that time of the month, you may want to consider getting checked for an iron deficiency. In either case, replacing your iron is crucial for sustaining your energy levels and replacing what has been lost. Below are some foods (mainly plant-based, you don’t always need a steak for iron!) that are loaded with iron and other important minerals that can help you cope during your time with your monthly friend. Also, check out my recipe for my No-Bake Protein Period Balls! You’re definitely going to want to make these!
- Sunflower Seeds. These delicious seeds are packed with almost 8 mg of iron per serving (about 1 cup, same amount that are in my protein balls below!). This is already about 50% of the daily value of iron needed. They also include Vitamin B-6 and TONS of magnesium. (Magnesium helps with all the body systems as well as mood and anxiety, this can also be beneficial during that time of the month!).
- Spinach. I love spinach. Whether it is raw or sautéed. In about one bunch of spinach there is 9 mg of iron. Throw that in a pan with some olive oil to sauté or even put some in your smoothie or eggs in the morning for some added minerals.
- Beans. Beans, especially kidney beans have 15mg in 1 cup! Throw these on your salad or make a homemade bean dip and you got yourself a meal!
- Cashews. Cashews are my favorite type of nut. They are so versatile too. Many vegan dishes use cashews as their base for creams, sauces, and desserts. Cashews are packed with protein, fiber and about 2 mg of iron per ounce.
- Dark Chocolate. Who doesn’t love chocolate!? Dark chocolate has been proven to help with many health issues such as inflammation, mood, and blow pressure because it is packed with antioxidants and flavonoids. Also, dark chocolate has close to 12 mg of iron in 3 ounces!
No-Bake Protein Period Balls
- 1 cup of sunflower seeds (blended into flour)
- 1 tbsp of pumpkin seeds (also blended)
- 2 tbsp of sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp of organic maple syrup
- 2 tbsp of almond milk
- 1 scoop of plant-based vanilla protein powder
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 4 tbsp of sesame seeds for coating
- Step 1 Start by placing sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in a blender or Vitamin and blend until it turns into flour.
- Step 2 Next, add your flour mixture to your mixer bowl and add in syrup, protein powder, cinnamon, vanilla, and sunflower seed butter.
- Step 3 Then turn mixer on (about level 2) and slowly add the almond milk until it turns into a cookie-dough consistency.
- Step 4 Next, form dough into 2 1.2 in balls and roll in sesame seeds to coat.
- Step 5 Place balls on a baking sheet and place in fridge for 30 min. Enjoy your balls! They can be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days.